How to fix “Google Update installation failed with error 0x8004071c”

I just tried to install Google Chrome on my Windows 7 machine and was faced with this obscure error message.

I found the answer on the Chrome support site – it’s caused by the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup\State\ImageState

Mine was set to IMAGE_STATE_UNDEPLOYABLE. Removing this value enabled the Google Chrome installer to proceed as normal.

If you enjoyed this post, please share it!

10 comments on “How to fix “Google Update installation failed with error 0x8004071c”

1. yuyu says:

i deleted the IMAGE_STATE_UNDEPLOYABLE but is still not working. any other solution?

2. Chris Barnes says:

Sorry Yuyu, I’m not sure why it’s still not working for you. It might be worth trawling the Chrome support site some more.

3. Lillebro says:

It worked for me: you have to delete the value name “ImageState” complete, not only the value data!

4. Kouzoulos says:

It worked for me too!!!

5. Ted says:

your fix is surprising but it worked thanks

6. Jesse says:

This worked great for me, thank you! I don’t think I’d ever ever ever have figured this out myself!

7. David G says:

FileHippo link worked for me, but then Chrome was still unable to download/install any updates. I ended up uninstalling all Google software, deleting all Google folders, and deleting all Google entries from the registry (just deleting ImageState wasn’t enough). Now I can install all Google packages, including all flavors of Chrome and all updates! Whoo!

8. Kris says:

The Offline Standalone worked for me for Chrome. Now what about getting Google Drive to install now? I get the same error as before. Drive is VERY Important to me.

Any Insite on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
      Thank you in advance!

-Kris

9. Jaimy D says:

I fixed this issue by going into regedit and removing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432\Node\Google\Chrome
      and
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432\Node\Google\Update
      Once those values were removed I was able to install Chrome, Google Earth, and updates.