How to fix “Google Update installation failed with error 0x8004071c”

I just tried to install Google Chrome on my Windows 7 machine and was faced with this obscure error message.

I found the answer on the Chrome support site – it’s caused by the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup\State\ImageState

Mine was set to IMAGE_STATE_UNDEPLOYABLE. Removing this value enabled the Google Chrome installer to proceed as normal.

If you enjoyed this post, please share it!

9 comments on “How to fix “Google Update installation failed with error 0x8004071c”

1. yuyu says:

i deleted the IMAGE_STATE_UNDEPLOYABLE but is still not working. any other solution?

2. Chris Barnes says:

Sorry Yuyu, I’m not sure why it’s still not working for you. It might be worth trawling the Chrome support site some more.

3. Lillebro says:

It worked for me: you have to delete the value name “ImageState” complete, not only the value data!

4. Kouzoulos says:

It worked for me too!!!

5. Ted says:

your fix is surprising but it worked thanks

6. Jesse says:

This worked great for me, thank you! I don’t think I’d ever ever ever have figured this out myself!

7. David G says:

FileHippo link worked for me, but then Chrome was still unable to download/install any updates. I ended up uninstalling all Google software, deleting all Google folders, and deleting all Google entries from the registry (just deleting ImageState wasn’t enough). Now I can install all Google packages, including all flavors of Chrome and all updates! Whoo!

8. Kris says:

The Offline Standalone worked for me for Chrome. Now what about getting Google Drive to install now? I get the same error as before. Drive is VERY Important to me.

Any Insite on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
      Thank you in advance!